5 years ago, If I had I looked at myself in the mirror, an endurance athlete is far from what I would have seen.
For the obvious reasons, I have asthma. If I don't take my inhaler before I do anything, I can't breath within seconds of starting something physical.I have a Mesomorph body type. Which means I can build strong, bulky muscle fast. Short, stocky legs. More slow twitch musclee than fast. And I am meant for short bursts of intense physical activity. Not ideal for an endurance athlete. Where as most other endurance sports are dominated by people with a 'Ectomorph' body type. Long, lean, lots of fast twitch muscle.
Attention span. What attention span. My mind is always moving 100 miles a minuet. For my friends who are close to me, they know what I am talking about. I can't keep one thought from jumping into another thought, into another thought for very long. I try to remain calm on the outside, but inside is a different story... Endurance sports that last over 2hours demand a certain amount of focus and attention to ones self. So poor attention span and focus are not something you want to have.
So there I was... Looking into that mirror. And maybe I did not see someone who within a few years would fall in love with endurance sports, but someone who loves a challenge. Someone who in his own right, has always been running, just not out on a road or trail. And someone, who give him an obstacle to climb over, and he will find a way no matter what.
I could have as easily said forget it, and tell myself why I shouldn't do it. I mean I don't just have an excuse, I have reasons right? But I took those reasons why I should not do it, and turned them into reason why I should do it. I set a goal for myself and have been working toward that goal ever since.
Dear Jesse James
ReplyDeleteI am sure the person you saw in the mirror that day is still inside you. Only now that person has become more self disciplined, fullfilled a dream and learned to attain high goal setting standards and most of all found out just how strong of a person you really are.
We are 6 weeks away from Ironman Canada and i sure know how i feel inside and heck i have not prepared physically like you have. However, i sure know i have been there with you on this entire journey in my heart and soul. As your mom my involvement in this has been so gratifying just knowing and seeing your committment, proud you wouldn't believe the feeling and most of all so happy you took the chance that day looking in the mirror cause i was always on the other side of that mirror waiting for you. Here is something i have always believed in if you like the direction you are going, nothing is an obstacle to keep you from it. Love to you Ironman.....Mom :)